The Event: Make for the planet Borneo
Help create solutions to challenging marine conservation problems in front of a global audience at the 5th International Marine Conservation Congress (IMCC5) in Sarawak, Malaysia June 24-29, 2018! Up to 15 Multidisciplinary teams of 4 will compete in an on-site event called Make for the Planet over the duration of the IMCC5 conference.
Make for the Planet is a team competition/hackathon to create hardware and/or software solutions to specific conservation challenges. Teams work to solve global conservation challenges through creative and transformative solutions that harness emerging science and technology, entrepreneurship, and design.
Read about the Washington D.C. Make for the Planet during the Smithsonian's Earth Optimism Summit in April, 2017.
Fifteen teams will work over 3 days at IMCC5 in a pop-up Makerspace to create solutions to Five challenges
Team PRIZEs & benefits
- Lodging (June 24-29) and IMCC5 registration is covered for all teams.
- At least two teams will win cash prizes, with a prize purse of up to $10,000 USD.
- All participating teams will receive at least one consulting session from Shenzhen Open Innovation Lab (SZOIL) to continue to refine their prototypes and solutions after Make for the Planet: https://www.szoil.org/
- One team will receive a 6-month hot bench membership to Maker Bay in Hong Kong: https://www.makerbay.org/
- Seeed is providing on-site tech support and donating products for teams: http://www.seeedstudio.com/blog/2018/06/04/make-for-the-planet-contribute-your-creative-solutions-for-marine-conservation-challenges/